I 219. (May 31, 2019): How did Seema get empowered?:
Seema is successful member of Chandni SHG in Nasirpur village of Sangipur block in Amethi district. This poor family has 14 members consisting of 8 adults and 6 children. She has less than one bigha of own land. The family is also cultivating one bigha land on lease. Her social and economic transformation began with her joining the SHG in the year 2009. She availed loan from her SHG one after another for various purposes that helped economic freedom to the family:
- Rs 1, 000 for purchase of a goat
- Rs 5, 000 for purchase of a cow
- Rs 25, 000 to meet the expenses of for marriage of her son.
- Rs 10, 000 for purchase of she buffalo heifer.
- Rs 20, 000 for installation of bore well in her field.
- Rs 15,000 for payment of debt to the landlord, which she had taken earlier on higher rate of interest.
- Rs 20,000 for her son’s livelihood. Her son is a building mechanic. She availed assistance of Rs 20, 000 for purchase of shuttering equipment of building construction.
As her confidence and capacity increased gradually through the SHG system, she developed her agricultural skills. She is now a successful vegetable grower and wholesaler of vegetables.
Thanks to her, the family now has five income generation activities i.e. goat rearing, sale of milk, bore well, sale of vegetables and building construction related work. From the income of these activities the family has crossed the poverty line and members in the family are enjoying a happy life. She has got only primary education and her sons are educated. Seema herself is associating as a community resource person in RGMVP in Agriculture in Sangipur block. She is very happy giving credit of her happiness to her SHG.
C S Pandey and P S Mohanan, May 31, 2019