I 221. (June 03, 2019): Ramavati’s will and determination beats poverty:
Ramawati is a successful member of Jai Hanuman SHG in Rahmatgarh village of Sukulbazar block in Amethi district. She belongs to the family of marginal farmer having four bigha of land and 11 members. She joined the group in 2006. In the last twelve years as a member of SHG, she could improve her own status in society as a woman. She has broken barriers that prevented woman’s participation in family’s decision making and economic progress She has succeeded in defeating poverty of the family by availing timely and need-based financial support from her self help group. Till now she has taken cumulative assistance of Rs 2,07,900 for various activities on 10 occasions as under:
- Rs 900 for payment of college fee of the son
- Rs 10, 000 for repayment of the old debt to the moneylender
- Rs 10, 000 again for education of children
- Rs 10, 000 for purchasing a buffalo
- Rs 50, 000 for sending her husband to Saudi Arabia
- Rs 30, 000 for treatment
- Rs 10, 000 for Agriculture
- Rs 30, 000 for starting a mini rice mill
- Rs 27, 000 towards purchase of a tractor which is being utilised for the mini rice mill to make it portable for processing of paddy from door to door.
- Rs 30, 000 towards purchase of 2nd tractor, which is being utilized in Agriculture.
Cultivation, mini rice mill and sale of milk are major income generation activities. Tremendous transformation in the family status has taken place and Ramawati has defeated poverty through sheer will and determination. Ramawati is educated up to primary standard and she is very good social worker. She is working as Meeting Sakhi in RGMVP and guiding other SHGs. All the children are educated. She gives very high weightage to her group, which is running very well.
C S Pandey and P S Mohanan, June 03, 2019