I 228. (June 18, 2019): Meera comes out of poverty:
Meera is a successful member of Radha SHG under RGMVP in Pure Mardan village of Deeh block in Amethi district. Her family was one of the poorest families of the village. The family had just 10 biswa of land. Their condition was so miserable as they had 6 members to feed. Tremendous change in the life of the family members has taken place after Meera joined the self-help group in the year 2009. She has taken followings loans from the group:
- Rs 25, 000 to establish a kirana shop in the village. This shop is which is running very well.
- Rs10, 000 as additional working capital for development of the above shop.
- Rs 5, 000 for cultivation on 2 bigha of land. (0.5 bigha of own land and 1.5 bigha more, which she has taken on batai (lease)
- Rs 2, 000 again for cultivation.
- Rs 7, 000 for repairing her house. She has further planned to enhance the existing shop. Meera is educated up to high school and she is managing her shop very well. She has assumed leadership role in RGMVP and currently she is vice president of her VO, guiding other SHGs. All children are school going. From the above two income-generation activities family has come out of poverty. SHG of Meera is running well.
C S Pandey and P S Mohanan, May 18, 2019