194. (March 31, 2019): Deokali defeats poverty:
She is Deokali, a successful member of Laxmi SHG under RGMVP in Dayalpur village of Kalakankar block in Pratapgad district. There are eight members in her family i.e. husband, wife, four sons and two daughters. She has less than one bigha of land. Prior to joining SHG in 2009, family of Deokali was facing much poverty. They had meager income from agriculture, which was not sufficient for the large family. As a woman she always felt inferior. The burden of poverty weighed heavily up on her. Life was miserable. But she has defeated poverty after coming in to the group and enjoying following financial assistance to the tune of Rs 1.96 lakhs from her SHG on 6 occasions:
- Rs 1, 000 for agricultural inputs.
- Rs 5, 000 for starting a parchoon shop in the village by her husband.
- Rs 20, 000 for purchase of buffalo
- Rs 100,000 for establishing a service centre for writing name plates, number plates of vehicles and printing banners, to be managed by her son in Salon town. This is major income generation activity for the family giving daily income of around Rs 1000/-.
- Rs 70, 000 for construction of house in two installments i.e. Rs 40, 000 and Rs 30, 000.
Simultaneous to the social empowerment undergone by her through her engagement with the SHG institutions, she invested wisely utilizing the financial access she had from the SHG. We can see the gradual progress in the investment and economic empowerment of the family of Deokali. Now with the four income generation activities i.e. sale of milk, parchoon shop, shop of printing banners and numbering plates and agriculture, her family has come out of the poverty. Deokali is illiterate housewife but now she can put her signature after joining the group. All her younger children are going to school. The eldest son is engaged in his shop at Salon after he passed high school. Her SHG is running very well to which she gives maximum weightage in her life.
C S Pandey and P S Mohanan, 31 March 2019